An Open Invitation:
PERFORMING PLACE SYMPOSIUM
Saturday 1st June 2013, Chichester University, Bishop Otter Campus, Chichester.
9.30a.m. – 5.00 p.m.
The Dance and Performing Arts Department at Chichester University invite researchers, practitioners, artists and post-graduate researchers to a 1 day symposium that will explore, celebrate, problematize and articulate notions of experiencing, encountering, articulating and ‘performing’ place through creative arts inquiry.
The symposium will include installation and performance work, academic paper presentations, informal discussions and opportunities to engage in dialogue with colleagues interested in exploring practices and processes of experiencing and ‘performing’ place, and associated notions of (amongst others) site-specificity, embodiment, mobility, location, space, place and performativity.
The symposium aims to stimulate a sharing of knowledge and ideas in an informal, playful and participatory manner.
The event will take place on Saturday, 1st June 2013 at Chichester University, Bishop Otter Campus.
- Fiona Wilkie: ‘Walking/cruising/motoring: performing place on the move’
- Carl Lavery: ‘Postgeopathological Ecologies: Simon Whitehead and the Body as Home’
- Jane Bacon and Vida Midgelow: ‘Experiences of Skript: A micro-installation’
- Virginia Farman: ‘Performance in Urban Spaces’.
- Victoria Hunter: ‘Dancing-Worlding the Beach’
- Gregg Whelan: ‘What I Run About When I Run About Running’
- Pete Phillips: GIFT-TAKE-MAKE-GIFT: A one-on-one performance encounter (running throughout the day)
The day will also include a work in progress performance of a new outdoor dance performance piece, Everyday Hero, which is a development of the Mass touring show by Bicycle Ballet. Everyday Hero has been made with participants with visual impairments and 3 sighted dancers, and tandem bicycles. The work employs the structure of the Hero’s journey to explore themes of heroism found in the real life experiences of people with visual impairments.
This is a free event, tea and coffee will be provided on the day, attendees are advised to provide their own lunch as there are no catering facilities on campus on that day.
Please email Vicky Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a place.